In Higher Education

Starting university is an exciting and life-changing experience.  There is so much to take in for the fresher student: new people, environments and timetables. There is the expectation of independent learning and this could be challenging for the dyslexic student.  

The good news is that most universities offer a good line of support and there are many freelance tutors outside of the university available.  The focus of specialist tuition in higher education is on study skills to enhance independent learning. 

Student Finance England (SFE) provides funding for students with dyslexia in Higher Education with the Disabled Student’s Allowance, known as 'DSA'.   The funding is to provide equipment and tuition.  Equipment could include a PC or laptop and specialist software. Tuition can be accessed through the university or independently.

SFE will only accept reports that are post-sixteen and by a specialist teacher with a ‘Assessment Practicing Certificate’ (APC) or an Educational or Chartered Psychologist.  DSA can take time to come through and the whole process can take up to three months, so it is advisable to apply as soon as possible. SFE will accept an application once a place at the university has been confirmed.

Dulwich Dyslexia : 37 Scutari Road, East Dulwich, London SE22 0NN

Areas I cover

  • East Dulwich, West Dulwich, Dulwich Village, Forest Hill 
  • Brixton, Herne Hill, West Norwood, South Norwood
  • Catford, Bromley, Lewisham
  • Nunhead, Hilly Fields, Peckham
  • Blackheath, Greenwich
  • SE22, SE23, SE21, SW2, SW4, Southwark, Lambeth